It’s no secret that there are laws surrounding online business. You’ve heard about disclaimers and honoring your offers. You know you’re not supposed to post affiliate links without disclosing them… but did you know that you need to be following laws when it comes to your email list as well?
But hey! Don’t worry! Email marketing law isn’t scary and is super easy to follow! Let’s dig into this week’s Quick & Dirty.
There is a law in place to regulate email marketing called the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Has nothing to do with canned meat. Stands for Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing.
- It’s a good thing.
- If you have a blog or business and your email list is for that, the CAN-SPAM Act Applies.
Don’t Add People to Your List.
- It’s illegal for you to email people your newsletter or add people to your email list without their consent.
- This is where the opt-in comes into play. A person needs to choose to be added to your list.
- This is a good thing because it means the people on your list are most likely warm leads!
Provide a Way to Unsubscribe
- This feels crummy but you absolutely have to provide a way to unsubscribe and you can’t hide it!
- Most Email providers will have that built into their email platform.
- If someone emails asking to be removed, honor that!
- Don’t let the unsubs bring you down.
Include your actual mailing address.
- Yep. It’s the law.
- You cannot make up an address, use the address of another business, etc.
- You can’t just put your city and state.
- You CAN use a PO Box.
- You’re not going to get murdered.
Don’t Be Misleading.
- This is common knowledge yall. Don’t be icky.
- Avoid click bait titles.
- If you offer something, make good on it!
If you don’t follow the rules, you get in trouble.
- Lose your email list.
- Get fined up to 16k PER EMAIL
- That adds up quick.
See? Not bad! Now do yourself a favor and do a quick email audit. Make sure you cover your legal booty! And come back next week to learn all about what to send your mailing list!