I think it’s important for you to know this. Working online isn’t all sunshine and roses. It’s not. As much as I absolutely love my job, I think it’s important for you to know that there are some seriously ugly parts to working online. Luckily, those things are far and few between but sometimes you happen upon them.
And that’s why Kirsten and I decided to tackle the not so glamorous side of online biz. Listen to this weeks episode to hear all about how we deal with some of the icky parts of online entrepreneurship.
- Talking about money generally sucks. And hearing about it can suck too. More often than not, it leads to feelings of comparison and tension between people. Let’s not even mention how icky people feel after experiencing that!
- While a vast majority of the online community is wonderful, you’re going to run across mean people. There are people online that have this compulsive need to be negative. Don’t be one of those people. It’s hurtful and a waste of perfectly good time. If you’re subjected to a mean person’s negative commentary, do everything you can to remember that it is not a reflection of you, it’s a reflection of them.
- You’ll see more cranky talk online. Because it isn’t face to face, people have a false sense of bravery when spouting negative opinions. Again. This is a reflection of them. Not you.
- It’s important to keep your reactions in check when dealing with trolls. Don’t fire back impulsively. Walk away, vent and address it if necessary. If it’s not, then delete, block and ignore!
- Copy cats are never fun. And we think there are two kinds. Those that copy others and cats that want you to copy them. Neither are ideal.
- Cookie cutter processes and practices help just one person… the one doing the selling. Your story doesn’t have to look like everyone else’s. And it shouldn’t.
- Duplication can definitely stink. You’ve invested time and love into something only to have it copied? That’s never a fun feeling. Unfortunately, there aren’t many great feeling ways to deal with this but always deal with it with grace.
- Fickle friends happen. You know. The ones that are only friends with you so that can gain something. That never ever feels good. But it does happen. Dealing with that can make it hard to connect with others later on but trust me. There are more good than bad people in the online world.
- Be mindful of how you use your voice, no matter what you do, so that you’re producing original content every time. This helps keep copy cats and fickle friends that are out to gain something at bay.
- Time is tough! You may think that as a business owner you can work when you want but truly, you end up having to work all the time. It takes a lot of discipline to turn off.
- Want to know everyone’s least favorite online biz thing? Taxes! So not fun!
- Money wastage will happen as you grow. It’s not fun but you can learn a lot about your business needs and yourself as you evaluate what you’ve wasted money on.
- Everything is a balance. Some days will be amazing. Some… not so much! Just remember to hold tight because you were made to do amazing things!